Subject: bug#57962: 29.0.50; Odd font choices

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 20:05:55 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Just to:
>
> (defface fixed-pitch
>   '((t :family "monospace-10"))
>   "The basic fixed-pitch face."
>   :group 'basic-faces)
>
> ?

Yes.

> I.e., it's not just the size difference, but also that they use
> different font shapes.

What happens if you try setting it to each of the following in order?
(The list below was taken straight from xfns.c.)

#if defined USE_CAIRO || defined HAVE_XFT
	    /* This will find the normal Xft font.  */
 	    "monospace-10",
#endif
	    "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1",
	    "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1",
	    "-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1",
	    /* This was formerly the first thing tried, but it finds
	       too many fonts and takes too long.  */
	    "-*-*-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1",
	    /* If those didn't work, look for something which will
	       at least work.  */
	    "-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1",
	    "fixed",

It's a long shot, but if it still doesn't work then I'm really out of
ideas.