Subject: Re: bug#57962: 29.0.50; Odd font choices

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 13:41:12 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Yes, "Monospace" is mapped to a special font family by fontconfig,
>> sometimes different than the monospace font specified via xsettings.
>>
>> I think the best thing to do would be to change fixed-pitch to be
>> affected by xsettings as well, but I'm not quite sure how to go about
>> doing that.
>
> Yes, that sounds like a promising direction to go in.  Anybody know how?

We have to get this fixed, one way or another, because we can't have
Emacs looking this bad on a popular platform like Ubuntu.

So -- we're using the `fixed-pitch' face for keyboard stuff because the
`default' font may well use a proportional font.  (It's unusual, but
feasible.)

But in the common case, where `default' uses a fixed width font, then I
think the `fixed-pitch' face should use exactly the same font.

Is there some easy way to achieve this, by any chance?