Subject: [bug#57960] [PATCH core-updates] gnu: libxkbcommon: Switch to gexp; adjust style.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:28:57 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 21.09.2022 um 03:16 -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> Hi,
> 
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 2:03 AM Liliana Marie Prikler
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > Try to avoid mixing cosmetic and non-cosmetic changes.
> 
> Thanks for the suggestion! I did last time [1] but the core-updates
> maintainer seemed to prefer otherwise. [2]
I don't think this was a preference; rather a workaround for some issue
arising in the git workflow (which can happen).

> In addition, I was not sure whether to use the formatter from the
> 'master' branch or from 'core-updates', or whether it made a
> difference.
The answer is "don't change surrounding code", which holds regardless
of the formatter you choose.  I do believe the one on master would be
updated more often, though.

> As a side note, my position is that 'guix style' should be applied to
> the code base whenever the formatter is changed, and not when
> functional changes are being submitted by individual contributors.
I disagree on the basis that the styler is very much not perfect yet
and still causes more issues than not on almost every patch I've so far
reviewed.  There's unfortunately a long way to go before we can mandate
code style. 

> > the formatter isn't doing the best job here.
> 
> Do I have a choice? I believe there is a requirement to run 'guix
> style' when submitting patches. [3]
> 
> [3]
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
Most reviewers, myself included, would rather prefer you simply mark
the region/package with Emacs and hit TAB.  However, not all packagers
prefer writing their code in Emacs, hence we tell them to use this
tool, which captures the letter, but sadly not the essence, of the
Scheme coding style.

Cheers