Subject: bug#57959: 29.0.50; build error on gnulinux

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 23:57:42 +0530

After commit 7c8a131984ab47349381975dead1712ae25ae2c6, I am facing the
following build errors. I am on Debian 11.5. GCC version is "gcc (Debian
10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110".

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  CC       lcms.o
  CC       inotify.o
  CC       profiler.o
  CC       decompress.o
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs'
  CC       thread.o

  "make all" failed with exit status 2.
  You might try to:
  - run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
  - run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
    to further investigate the problem

make[2]: *** [Makefile:405: advice-on-failure] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:370: all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And in the end

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Loading leim/leim-list.el (source)...
Loading emacs-lisp/rmc...
Waiting for git...
Waiting for git...
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Pure-hashed: 18151 strings, 5678 vectors, 51500 conses, 5105 bytecodes, 343 others
Dumping under the name emacs.pdmp
Dumping fingerprint: bd993bbc95e14ea95ffcafb5602fe09cb3b277658ac7afa3ee74b60c60411a0b
Dump complete
Byte counts: header=100 hot=7916068 discardable=149240 cold=3782688
Reloc counts: hot=450388 discardable=5286
Adding name emacs-29.0.50.1
Adding name emacs-29.0.50.1.pdmp
cp -f emacs.pdmp bootstrap-emacs.pdmp 
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pankaj/work/gnu/emacs'
make: *** [GNUmakefile:95: install] Error 2
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-09-19 built on anant
Repository revision: c791f3669800188b32b9b5b7feec6ab73adfddd1
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/pankaj/.local'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/pankaj/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220915.1511/transient hides /home/pankaj/.local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug gnus-html url-cache cus-start gtags-mode calc-alg
calc-ext calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs completion
gnuplot-context gnuplot info-look mhtml-mode css-mode js sgml-mode
facemenu ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox cl-print
help-fns radix-tree preview reftex-dcr reftex reftex-loaddefs
reftex-vars tex-bar toolbar-x latex latex-flymake tex-ispell tex-style
tex-mode latexenc bug-reference magit-extras face-remap magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func edebug
magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode transient edmacro kmacro magit-git magit-base magit-section
compat-27 compat-26 term/xterm xterm sh-script smie executable bookmark
cal-move tabify org-capture org-refile shr-color flow-fill qp mailalias
smtpmail bbdb-message sort smiley gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table hl-line cursor-sensor utf-7
nndraft nnmh nnfolder nnml bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache .gnus dabbrev misearch multi-isearch etags
fileloop php-mode mode-local speedbar ezimage dframe php-face php
php-project grep gnus-dired dired-aux display-line-numbers markdown-mode
conf-mode tramp-cache time-stamp prettier nvm f f-shortdoc shortdoc s
iter2 yaml-mode cl-extra ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo ol-docview doc-view image-mode wallpaper xdg exif
ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi autorevert mule-util
jka-compr vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch desktop frameset checkdoc elec-pair init my-init
kunji hdfc org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-plantuml ob-sql ob-css ob-js ob-java ob-C cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
ob-python ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mm-decode mm-bodies mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader mail-utils range erc-join solar cal-dst cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs delight server modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes
ef-dark-theme ef-themes eglot array filenotify jsonrpc ert ewoc debug
backtrace find-func flymake-proc flymake pcase plantuml-mode dash cider
tramp-sh cider-debug cider-browse-ns cider-mode cider-find
cider-inspector cider-completion cider-profile cider-eval cider-jar
arc-mode archive-mode cider-repl-history pulse cider-repl cider-resolve
cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc cider-browse-spec
help-mode cider-clojuredocs cider-eldoc cider-client cider-common xref
cider-connection cider-util color cider-popup easy-mmode sesman-browser
nrepl-client tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit
cus-load warnings icons wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time ls-lisp queue nrepl-dict spinner sesman vc vc-dispatcher
clojure-mode lisp-mnt align imenu parseedn parseclj-parser parseclj-lex
parseclj-alist editorconfig rust-utils rust-mode rust-playpen
rust-compile compile rust-cargo rust-rustfmt font-latex tex dbus xml crm
texmathp corfu which-key exec-path-from-shell bbdb bbdb-site timezone
dictionary dictionary-connection python project mml-sec mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr epa
derived epg rfc6068 gnus-util text-property-search epg-config
erc-services erc-networks erc-goodies erc-backend erc erc-compat compat
compat-macs iso8601 time-date pp format-spec erc-loaddefs add-log
cc-vars cc-defs sql view thingatpt comint osc ansi-color ring finder-inf
auctex-autoloads tex-site bbdb-autoloads cider-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
delight-autoloads denote-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads eglot-autoloads
ement-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads graphql-mode-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads
gtags-mode-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads json-mode-autoloads rx
json-snatcher-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads nov-autoloads
esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads parseedn-autoloads parseclj-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads plantuml-mode-autoloads plz-autoloads
prettier-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads nvm-autoloads f-autoloads
iter2-autoloads queue-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads s-autoloads
sesman-autoloads spinner-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
taxy-magit-section-autoloads taxy-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads transient-autoloads tree-sitter-langs-autoloads
tree-sitter-autoloads tsc-autoloads vertico-autoloads
which-key-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1450245 166128)
 (symbols 48 66546 2)
 (strings 32 314216 16368)
 (string-bytes 1 9038557)
 (vectors 16 144318)
 (vector-slots 8 2555102 217269)
 (floats 8 1107 554)
 (intervals 56 13867 5660)
 (buffers 1000 91))