Subject: 29.0.50; Native compilation hangs on cyclic lists

From: Lars Tveito <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 07:55:48 +0000

Evaluating the two following forms results in Emacs hanging:

(defun test-cycle ()
  '#1=(a . #1#))

(native-compile 'test-cycle)

The bug has been reproduced on a system running Debian as well.

- Lars

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6 (Build 21G115))
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.6

Configured using:
'configure
--prefix=/nix/store/wf6wjsvvs3q7k0vf3xlfzi3ik8v3601n-emacs-29.0.50
--disable-build-details --with-modules --with-ns
--disable-ns-self-contained --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE
NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /nix/store/87hrwgmnic6hhjl6p7ch30ik90dpw324-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/87hrwgmnic6hhjl6p7ch30ik90dpw324-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/nix/store/87hrwgmnic6hhjl6p7ch30ik90dpw324-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/wf6wjsvvs3q7k0vf3xlfzi3ik8v3601n-emacs-29.0.50/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/nix/store/87hrwgmnic6hhjl6p7ch30ik90dpw324-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/nadvice-0.3/nadvice hides /nix/store/wf6wjsvvs3q7k0vf3xlfzi3ik8v3601n-emacs-29.0.50/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/nadvice

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 78425 6959)
(symbols 48 7029 0)
(strings 32 19124 2018)
(string-bytes 1 599871)
(vectors 16 16700)
(vector-slots 8 325741 9902)
(floats 8 27 31)
(intervals 56 320 0)
(buffers 1000 12))