Subject: Re: bug#57956: 29.0.50; Add minimal authorization support to sasl-scram-rfc

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 23:23:43 -0700

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> is obviously an internal function. Does that matter? Would you rather we
>> export it (as in rename it or alias it) beforehand (IOW, now)?
>
> I'd rather not add "internal functions" to Compat, at least in a way
> that it would be exposed as part of the official Compat interface.  That
> being said, I am not familiar with the feature being discussed here,

The feature (also a bug fix) being discussed here concerns the final
client-side step of the SCRAM protocol. Basically, it computes a
challenge from the server and packs the answer into an outgoing reply.

> so maybe an exception has to be made?

No reason to. We can keep it internal (the "final step" function, that
is) and backport its logic, its helpers, and all (two-ish?) public
functions that call it (I'm likely adding a third).

Alternatively, we could

- have ERC restrict this feature to users of Emacs 29+, or
- stick with the status quo and manage this particular case manually via
  erc-comapt.el [1].

I'd be fine with any of the above, really.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-erc/2022-09/txtCuKCxr1b72.txt