Subject: bug#57955: 29.0.50; Allow session-local ERC modules

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 06:15:48 -0700

Hi Michael,

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Without knowing erc in general and your patch in detail: this sounds
> like you could profit from connection-local variables. Did you check
> this?

Not quite yet (only superficially).

At first glance, I'm not sure they're a perfect fit for this specific
issue, but I'll definitely investigate further. Either way, I'm thinking
they'd be a great solution (or inspiration) for an initiative we have on
the horizon, namely, devising a means of applying user options in a more
granular, contextual manner [1].

Also (if you happen to recall), a few of our recent exchanges ended with
me pledging to follow through on one thing or another. And yet, most of
those promises remain unfulfilled. Please know that I do plan on
addressing them "eventually" and that I very much appreciate your help
(and your patience).

Thanks,
J.P.

[1] In case you're interested, by "context," I'm referring to various
    logical (somewhat overlapping) IRC boundaries, such as

    - message: event-local, i.e., source-wise and message-type-wise
    - channel: target-local
    - network: connection-local

    Basically, I'm looking for something akin to a "context variable"
    facility, except not so much for managing concurrency but instead
    for transparently stashing and restoring message-processing
    environments matched against headers and protocol state. More info:

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-erc/2021-10/msg00003.html