Subject: bug#57939: 29.0.50; Fixing raise-frame on Sway

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 12:12:44 +0200

Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not worried about whether or not Sway keeps the interface stable,
> the problem is whether or not Sway will still be a thing in 2, 5, 10, or
> 20 years.

That is indeed a worry.

> Not to mention that Sway is still a niche compositor, compared to the
> likes of GNOME Shell or Kwin.
>
> If we take the route of supporting non-standard interfaces provided by
> all "popular" Wayland compositors at any given time, then we will
> quickly fall into the rabbit hole of constantly keeping up with changes
> to that status quo.

There's no set rules for any of this -- but we want Emacs to be as
usable as possible across as large a number of systems as possible.
This means that we have a lot of special purpose code in Emacs to work
around oddities in systems, and to interact with specific systems and
libraries.

Sway seems to be one of the major players in the Wayland world, so I'd
welcome code to make Emacs work better under Sway.