Subject: bug#57930: closed (Re: bug#57930: 27.2; error in process sentinel)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 09:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57930: 27.2; error in process sentinel

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57930: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57930
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57930: 27.2; error in process sentinel
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 02:18:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:38:59 +0200
>>
>>
>> Doing a find-name search in dired frequently renders this error:
>>
>> error in process sentinel: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil
>>
>> For example. If I want to see if there are any JPG files in my videos
>> folder. I invoke C-x d, then find-name-dired. Then the error occurs. I
>> tried this in Emacs 27 and 28.
>
> I tried reproducing this, but couldn't.  I guess your case has some
> hidden aspects.  So:
>
>   . does this happen in "emacs -Q"?
>   . if it does happen in "emacs -Q", please set debug-on-error to a
>     non-nil value, run the command to get a backtrace, and post the
>     backtrace here
>   . if it doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", please try to find the
>     customization that causes this
>
> The bug report seems to indicate that the problem happens in the
> process-sentinel:
>
>   error in process sentinel: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil [2 times]
>
> but it doesn't give enough details to investigate further.

More information was requested, but none was given within 12 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: 27.2; error in process sentinel
From: Raoul Comninos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:38:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Doing a find-name search in dired frequently renders this error:

error in process sentinel: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil

For example. If I want to see if there are any JPG files in my videos
folder. I invoke C-x d, then find-name-dired. Then the error occurs. I
tried this in Emacs 27 and 28.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-26 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: deef5efafb70f4b171265b896505b92b6eef24e6
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22000
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22000.978)

Recent messages:
Omitted 2 lines.
Omitting...
Omitted 2 lines.
Omitting...
(Nothing to omit)
error in process sentinel: Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil [2 times]
Mark set
<left-fringe> <drag-mouse-1> is undefined
Mark set
scroll-up-command: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENS
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  pdf-occur-dired-minor-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  dired-hide-details-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-superword-mode: t
  superword-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sort dired-aux find-dired flyspell ispell
ol-eww eww url-queue ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m yasnippet greader
greader-espeak em-smart esh-mode eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util ange-ftp dired-x ox-pandoc
ht dash ox-org ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox expand-region
subword-mode-expansions text-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions
org-element avl-tree generator python-el-fgallina-expansions
html-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions thingatpt expand-region-core
expand-region-custom pdf-occur tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/db semantic/find eieio-base semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch pdf-misc pdf-tools cus-edit
pdf-view bookmark mule-util pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode exif iedit help-macro iedit-lib sgml-mode hi-lock
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-python python skeleton tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat shell pcomplete
ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint ob-core
ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gnus-sum shr svg xml dom gnus-group
mm-url gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source imap
rfc2104 utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap mml-sec epa mailabbrev
sendmail gmm-utils mailheader nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mail-utils two-column advice cl
minibuffer-complete-cycle ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs dired
desktop frameset dired-loaddefs ibuf-macs savehist saveplace recentf
tree-widget wid-edit grep cap-words superword subword delsel cus-start
cus-load autorevert filenotify sensible-defaults use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core finder-inf info speedbar
imenu sb-image ezimage dframe package let-alist edmacro kmacro
browse-url url-handlers mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-parse auth-source
eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars epg
cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile compile
files-x rx comint derived ansi-color ring cconv cl-seq epg-config subr-x
easy-mmode cl-macs inline cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv pcase tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2007846 538527)
 (symbols 48 66779 26)
 (strings 32 231222 18607)
 (string-bytes 1 7324536)
 (vectors 16 39785)
 (vector-slots 8 1187545 193892)
 (floats 8 376 295)
 (intervals 56 2402 2466)
 (buffers 1000 16))