Subject: Re: [bug#57923] [PATCH] gnu: Add sov.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 18:35:56 +0200

On 19-09-2022 06:32, kiasoc5 via Guix-patches via wrote:
> +   (inputs (list wayland))
> +   (native-inputs (list pkg-config freetype wayland-protocols))

I think 'freetype' and maybe 'wayland-protocols' might be sorted 
incorrectly -- 'freetype' is usually used at runtime (hence 'inputs', 
not 'native-inputs') and wayland-protocols is often used for its 
'wayland-scanner' (or maybe that was 'wayland'), hence 'native-inputs' 
(sometimes to resolve cross-compilation errors it needs to be both 
'native-inputs' and 'inputs').

To test, you can try to cross-compile:

./pre-inst-env guix build sov --target=aarch64-linux-gnu

and move inputs as needed to resolve compilation failures.

Also, it looks like it bundles a copy of jsmn, at
https://github.com/milgra/sov/blob/main/src/modules/json/jsmn.c
-- while unbundling is not required if it's the only copy in Guix, a ";; 
TODO bundles jsmn" would be useful to keep track of bundling.

(Actually there is another copy though, in 'acme-client', but strictly 
speaking '(guix)Submitting Patches' only talks about 'already available 
as separate packages', not 'there is another copy'.)

In src/sov/config/fontconfig.c, there is some code for starting 
"fc-match", which needs a 'substitute*' so fc-match will be found even 
if fontconfig is not in the current environment.

Greetings,
Maxime.