Subject: bug#57907: closed (Re: bug#57907: 29.0.50; Using keywords with cl-loop)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57907: 29.0.50; Using keywords with cl-loop

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57907: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57907
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57907: 29.0.50; Using keywords with cl-loop
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:16:47 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I phrased that clumsily -- while it is a new language, it doesn't always
>> have to feel like one.
>
> And I'm saying that that feeling is a misleading feeling -- we're
> leading the users down the garden path.
>
>> E.g. the repeat-collect example I gave before.
>> If you *can* use keywords, you *can* make some cl-loop invocations
>> appear to be a macro or a function call with keyword-arguments.
>>
>> But of course this wouldn't be the case, as the macro should stay
>> backwards compatible.
>
> I understand that.  But it means that the stated rationale for this
> change does the users a disservice.
>
> So I'm against extending cl-loop in this way.  Gerd has explained why
> it works this way in Common Lisp (because CL doesn't have any other
> choice because that's the way the language works), but we should not
> shoehorn in this accident into Emacs, too.

While it might have had been an accident initially, I don't think it has
to be considered such.  As I said, there are reasons like syntax
highlighting for preferring keyword-symbols.  But if you don't think
this is a good idea, I'll go ahead and close the issue.

Subject: 29.0.50; Using keywords with cl-loop
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:03:50 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In Common Lisp the following to are equivalent

    (loop :repeat 5 :collect t)

and

    (loop repeat 5 collect t)

as keywords are shared among all packages.  In cl-lib, the former
variant is now allowed, since :repeat is not recognised as a cl-loop
keywords.

It seems to me that it would be nice to support these too, as keywords
have the superficial advantage of being a bit more readable due to their
additional highlighting, and for some people it makes the macro a bit
more comfortable to use since it doesn't have to feel like you are using
a whole new language, but instead these are just keyword arguments to an
unusual function call.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-17 built on rhea
Repository revision: bd77f60f949eab3453de76f130aa4a21ef9b1cc6
Repository branch: local
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK
JPEG JSON LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-winter-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-winter-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-themes hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-themes
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-summer-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-summer-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-spring-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-spring-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-night-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-night-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-light-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-light-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-duo-light-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-duo-light-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-duo-dark-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-duo-dark-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-deuteranopia-light-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-deuteranopia-light-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-day-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-day-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-dark-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-dark-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-autumn-theme hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-autumn-theme
/home/philip/.config/emacs/site-lisp/ef-themes/ef-themes-autoloads hides /home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-0.5.0/ef-themes-autoloads
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/philip/.config/emacs/elpa/xref-1.5.1/xref hides /home/philip/Source/emacs/lisp/progmodes/xref

Features:
(shadow emacsbug man gnus-dup sp-tutor waffel doc-view image-mode exif
ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree hl-line rcirc nnagent nnml jka-compr
tramp-sh display-line-numbers two-column eudc-capf eudc eudc-vars delsel
rect flymake-cc help-at-pt mhtml-mode css-mode js cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
sgml-mode facemenu flow-fill nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar
ezimage dframe make-mode embark tar-mode goto-addr timezone toolbar-x
reporter desktop frameset context plain-tex latex latex-flymake
tex-ispell tex-style compat-macs consult-icomplete icomplete forms
forms-mode diff-hl-show-hunk diff-hl-inline-popup diff-hl-dired
ef-winter-theme ef-summer-theme ef-spring-theme ef-night-theme
ef-light-theme ef-duo-light-theme ef-duo-dark-theme
ef-deuteranopia-light-theme ef-deuteranopia-dark-theme ef-day-theme
ef-dark-theme ef-autumn-theme ef-themes python eglot array jsonrpc
geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-guile
geiser-chibi info-look geiser geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-capf
geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc
geiser-eval geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-log
geiser-popup view go-mode find-file ido git-rebase let-alist benchmark
eww url-queue mm-url markdown-mode slime-repl-tests slime-tests
inferior-slime slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-autodoc slime-editing-commands slime-repl elp slime-parse grep
slime gud apropos etags fileloop arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec
which-key term ehelp eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc
esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util cl org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ert-x ert advice
magit-patch magit-subtree magit-gitignore magit-ediff ediff ediff-merg
ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util
magit-extras face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff git-commit
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient
edmacro magit-git magit-section magit-utils dash tabify debbugs-gnu
debbugs-compat debbugs soap-client rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
nndoc mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth sh-script smie
executable tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp
dictionary dictionary-connection ffap gnus-fun shell pcomplete shortdoc
cus-edit cus-start cus-dep vertico-buffer finder avy log-edit
consult-vertico consult compat-28 kmacro bookmark pp add-log vc-annotate
mailalias smtpmail autocrypt-message ecomplete ietf-drums-date sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-ml disp-table autocrypt-gnus autocrypt nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder
epa-file network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win char-fold misearch multi-isearch
flymake-proselint xdg tex-info tex crm texmathp texinfo texinfo-loaddefs
mule-util wombat-theme whiteboard-theme wheatgrass-theme
tsdh-light-theme tango-theme tango-dark-theme modus-vivendi-theme
misterioso-theme manoj-dark-theme light-blue-theme leuven-theme
leuven-dark-theme dichromacy-theme deeper-blue-theme smerge-mode
dired-aux gnus-dired copyright time-stamp pulse color xref cl-print
edebug debug backtrace vc-backup vc-fossil vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs whitespace buffer-env compat bug-reference vc-git
find-func tsdh-dark-theme vertico-directory orderless vertico-flat
noutline outline checkdoc flymake-proc flymake yasnippet-snippets
yasnippet flyspell ispell comp comp-cstr warnings icons cl-extra
auth-source-pass repeat project format-spec battery dbus xml
shell-command+ thingatpt dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rx time sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils
range mm-util mail-prsvr finder-inf diff-hl-flydiff diff diff-hl
log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode
hippie-exp winner windmove corfu-history corfu vertico-multiform vertico
elec-pair recentf tree-widget wid-edit saveplace savehist pixel-scroll
cua-base xt-mouse modus-operandi-theme modus-themes pcase cus-load setup
site-lisp auto-site compile text-property-search comint ansi-color
autoload loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt auctex-autoloads tex-site
buffer-env-autoloads consult-autoloads compat-autoloads corfu-autoloads
crdt-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
embark-autoloads focus-autoloads geiser-chibi-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree help-mode
geiser-custom geiser-base ring geiser-autoloads magit-autoloads
slime-autoloads transient-autoloads vc-fossil-autoloads
vertico-autoloads which-key-autoloads info xref-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win
pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2923673 345540)
 (symbols 48 78147 110)
 (strings 32 419441 127926)
 (string-bytes 1 13928223)
 (vectors 16 217707)
 (vector-slots 8 4076811 237970)
 (floats 8 4366 992)
 (intervals 56 179610 6264)
 (buffers 1000 189))