Subject: Re: bug#57880: 28.1; Emacs crashes with native compilation on when some antivirus program is running on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:26:19 +0300

> From: Ioannis Kappas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:55:03 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Or could there be an early init option to bypass the native compilation. This
> way the users can test the issue with is native comp.

There is one already.

> > Why does the directory where the *.eln files live matter?  Doesn't the
> > antivirus software check any loading of any DLL from anywhere on the
> > system?
> 
> Perhaps it only matters for the User directory. AVs want to put more
> stricter control
> on the binaries the user downloads and installs themselves.

Is that known, or is this just a guess?

Also, I asked which AV software has this problem.  Do you happen to
know?

Anyway, programs are not normally installed under C:\Users, they are
installed under C:\Program Files.

> > In any case, the *.eln files have at least two places on any system,
> > and only one of them can be changed, the other one is fixed by the
> > build.
> 
> Those precompiled with Emacs are fine in this use case since they are
> not stored in the Users directory, it's only newly compiled files that
> exhibit this issue because they store the .eln files in the user dir by
> default.

This means that the problem will only affect people who have libgccjit
and GCC/Binutils installed, because otherwise Emacs will be unable to
compile new *.eln files.  Right?