Subject: bug#57880: 28.1; Emacs crashes with native compilation on when some antivirus program is running on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:06:09 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Ioannis Kappas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:43:10 +0100
> 
> Hi Andrea,
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 9:14 AM Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I'm not sure I understand why the issue is only in 'unload_comp_unit'
> > and not in all the other places where we use and rely on 'dynlib_sym'
> > (ex in 'make_subr').
> 
> It is because `make_subr', or any of other relevant fns, is not given a
> chance to execute. The eln file is loaded fine, but the search for the
> COMP_UNIT_SYM'bol in the eln is unsuccessful (due to AV interference),
> the file is considered invalid, and the only path left to take is to unload it.

What would be the purpose of using Emacs with native-compilation on
such a system?  Users who must cope with such antivirus programs will
need to use Emacs without native-compilation.  I see no good reason to
prevent Emacs from crashing, since those *.eln files cannot be used
anyway, and we will just have a slowed-down Emacs without
native-compilation.  Right?  Or did I miss something?