Subject: Re: bug#57876: [PATCH] pulse-momentary-highlight-one-line: Act on visual line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 15:55:48 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 14:45:33 +0200
> 
> Oh, sorry!  I was confusing myself by testing with
> 
> (let ((inhibit-point-motion-hooks t)) (beginning-of-visual-line))
> 
> which is the wrong thing, of course -- with inhibit-field-text-motion it
> works fine.
> 
> So adjusting the patch to use that instead might be appropriate (but
> doesn't make much difference).

My point in suggesting that was that it is better to use utility
functions we have rather than the equivalent code, because the utility
functions presumably serve as a locus of all our wisdom related to
what they do.  For example, what does "beginning of visual line" mean
with bidirectional text?  Instead of having to decide this in each
case, we have a function that already does TRT.