Subject: Re: bug#57861: [PATCH] gnu: Add ultrastar-deluxe.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 18:44:21 +0200

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 17-10-2022 10:33, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello!
>> Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>>> +;; Lazily resolve to avoid a circular dependency.
>>> +(define fpc*
>>> +  (delay (module-ref (resolve-interface '(gnu packages pascal))
>>> +                     'fpc)))
>> I think this is unnecessary: you can just #:use-module (gnu packages
>> pascal) and have ‘fpc’ in ‘native-inputs’.  Everything will be fine
>> because ‘inputs’ is a thunked field (IOW, its evaluation is delayed).
>
> That's still a circular dependency.  Why import (gnu packages pascal)
> when you don't need it

That’s what every package module does.

We can discuss the drawbacks of this and ways to avoid it, but this
particular patch and review is not the right place to do that IMO.

Thanks,
Ludo’.