Subject: bug#57856: 28.2; bookmark context strings in encrypted files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 14:16:47 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thinking further about, there are also other files which shouldn't
>> expose snippets to bookmarks. Think about .authinfo / .netrc (more
>> general, all files used as auth-sources backend). And perhaps other
>> files.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better, if packages like Tramp, epa, auth-sources, you
>> name it, could mark files to be excluded from bookmark-make-record? For
>> example, a hook a package could contribute to. In Tramp, we would run
>>
>> (add-hook 'bookmark-inhibit-bookmark-hook #'tramp-crypt-file-name-p)
>
> Yes, that's true, but we don't really have a way to define
> auth-source-file-p except by heuristics -- a netrc file may be called
> anything.
>
> So I'm not sure how that'd look...

auth-source-file-name-p could scan the auth-sources declarations for a
file based backend, and return t for such files. Shouldn't be too hard
to implement (oops, do I offer to volunteer?)

Let's start with bookmark-inhibit-bookmark-hook, adding
tramp-crypt-file-name-p and epa-file-name-p, and see, who else wants to
be added.

Best regards, Michael.