Subject: Re: bug#57856: 28.2; bookmark context strings in encrypted files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:00:07 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Looking at how to integrate this (which is always iffy when we're
> dealing with several packages), I think this has to be done the other
> way.  That is, `bookmark-make-record' has to check whether the file is
> encrypted or not, becaues `*insert-file-contents' might not have been
> run at all (if this is a new encrypted file, for instance).
>
> So `tramp-crypt-file-name-p' is perfect for that, but there doesn't seem
> to be any `epa-file-name-p' (or something equivalent)?  Hm...  OK, that
> was trivial to add, so I've now done it this way in Emacs 29.

Thanks.

Thinking further about, there are also other files which shouldn't
expose snippets to bookmarks. Think about .authinfo / .netrc (more
general, all files used as auth-sources backend). And perhaps other
files.

Wouldn't it be better, if packages like Tramp, epa, auth-sources, you
name it, could mark files to be excluded from bookmark-make-record? For
example, a hook a package could contribute to. In Tramp, we would run

(add-hook 'bookmark-inhibit-bookmark-hook #'tramp-crypt-file-name-p)

Similar for other packages.

Best regards, Michael.