Subject: bug#57856: 28.2; bookmark context strings in encrypted files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:43:20 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

>> JFTR, there's not only gpg encryption. We have also tramp-crypt.el,
>> which let users encrypt all their files on a remote host. Those files
>> shall be handled similar, when it comes to implementation.
>>
>> See (info "(tramp) Keeping files encrypted")
>
> Right...  switching off bookmark context lines would go into
> `epa-file-insert-file-contents' in the gpg case, I think -- where would
> we do that in the Tramp case?

There is `tramp-handle-insert-file-contents'. Since this is used for
several Tramp backends, we need a check, whether Tramp encryption is
active. Something like

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(when (tramp-crypt-file-name-p filename)
   ...)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

OTOH, this would expose the "tramp-crypt-" namespace to tramp.el. Hmm,
maybe I will adapt the solution, but you could start with this.

Best regards, Michael.