Subject: Re: bug#57856: 28.2; bookmark context strings in encrypted files

From: Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:30:19 -0300

Hi Lars,

Thanks again for the very prompt response.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 at 14:07, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Gustavo Barros <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It could be argued that it is unwise to set a bookmark in this
>> context. But, well, users do all kind of stuff.  Besides, Emacs
>> provides no hint that this may be risky (as far as I can tell).  So 
>> it
>> would be nice if Emacs would be a little more conservative here, and
>> locally set `bookmark-search-size' to 0 in buffers visiting encrypted
>> files.
>
> I think that makes sense.  Alternatively, we could prompt the user for
> what to do in these files?
>
> Anybody have any opinions?

If this were to be left to user discretion, I'd suggest a variable 
rather than a prompt.  What would we ask?  "This file is encrypted. Set 
bookmark, yes or no?"  "Why wouldn't I? Yes."  For the value of 
`bookmark-search-size'?  "What's that? Default. RET"  The general point 
is, how many users should we expect to know "at prompt time" that 
`bookmark.el' stores part of the buffer in the bookmark file and what it 
represents for an encrypted file?

But, to be honest, I'm not even sure if this being optional is 
particularly meaningful.  Do you see any use case where one would 
actually want to store unencrypted context of an encrypted file?

Best regards,
Gustavo.