Subject: Re: bug#57837: 29.0.50; fit-window-to-buffer should reposition the buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:48:43 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:34:01 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
> 
> > is it possible for Emacs return nil from (pos-visible-in-window-p 
> > (point))
> 
> It is not impossible, but if it happens, it's a bug.

Actually, it _is_ possible and is not a bug, but only as long as
redisplay didn't happen.  IOW, you can, for example, write a command
that moves point in a way that would make point be outside of the
window, and then pos-visible-in-window-p will return nil for it.  But
as soon as the command finishes, redisplay will scroll the window to
bring point into view.

This is exactly what you see in this case.

> I get that that's your preference, but I hope you understand that this is 
> a corner case, and that what the code does is not a bug.

Right.