Subject: Re: bug#57827: Shepherd 0.9.2 possible regressions

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 08:41:05 +0200

Hey,

> * cgit: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1427375/details
> * gitile https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1427377/details

OK so those two are fixed by Chris patch.

> * gui-uefi-installed-os https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1431041/details
> * gui-installed-os https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1431027/details
> * gui-installed-os-encrypted https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1431040/details
> * gui-installed-desktop-os-encrypted https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1431044/details

Regarding those four, I was able to reproduce the issue this way:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix repl
(stop-service 'guix-daemon)
(start-service 'guix-daemon (list (number->string (getpid))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The latter command hangs and Shepherd becomes unresponsive.  I collected
an (attached) strace dump of Shepherd showing that there is no response
on the socket when the service is started.

Note that, this works:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix repl
(stop-service 'guix-daemon)
(start-service 'guix-daemon) 
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So the problem could be caused by the "container-excursion*" in the
"fork+exec-command/container" procedure.

Thanks,

Mathieu