Subject: Re: bug#57827: Shepherd 0.9.2 possible regressions

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:35:58 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since Shepherd 0.9.2 the following tests are failing:
>
> * cgit: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1427375/details
> * gitile https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/1427377/details
>
> It seems that an unexpected #<eof> object is received on the marionette
> socket.

I had a look at the cgit system test, and it seems like this #<eof> is
coming from the NGinx pid file being empty.

Since empty files is a possibility with wait-for-file, I've sent a patch
to [1] which prevents the eof issue, plus another change to make it
easier to debug.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57850

With that change, both of the above tests seem to pass for me.

This could be related to the Shepherd upgrade, but only indirectly, as I
think the failure at least for cgit was also timing dependent.

Chris