Subject: bug#57815: closed (Re: bug#57815: 29.0.50; loaddefs-generate docstring: DIR vs. DIRS)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57815: 29.0.50; loaddefs-generate docstring: DIR vs. DIRS

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57815: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57815
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57815: 29.0.50; loaddefs-generate docstring: DIR vs. DIRS
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:31:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I made it say
>
>   Generate loaddefs files for Lisp files in one or more directories
> given by DIR.

Perfect, thanks.  Closing.

Michael.

Subject: 29.0.50; loaddefs-generate docstring: DIR vs. DIRS
From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 04:55:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

the first arg of loaddefs-generate has the name DIR but the first
sentence names it DIRS.

While that argument can be a dir or a list of dirs, this first sentence
breaks our rules.

Would it be worth to name the argument "DIR-OR-DIRS" for discoverability
- or should the docstring just say

"Generate loaddefs files for Lisp files in DIR.
DIR can be either a single directory or a list of directories.
[...]" ?

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars) of 2022-09-14 built on drachen
Repository revision: 0dfe8c6023564b4ea86424c790ad0b4925110e1a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'