Subject: [bug#57809] [PATCH] gnome-boxes: Patch 'qemu-img' path

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 23:50:49 +0200

On 18-09-2022 23:32, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
> On Ne, zář 18 2022 at 23:14:12 +0200, Maxime Devos 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I find (search-input-file inputs "/bin/qemu-img") clearer -- 'inputs' 
>> / 'native-inputs' is sufficiently complicated on its own, no need to 
>> bring %build-inputs and friends in the equation when it can be avoided. 
> 
> That ain't working for me: https://i.imgur.com/Co4Xsjl.png 
> <https://i.imgur.com/Co4Xsjl.png>

Quoting the relevant code would be sufficient, no need for image links. 
  Besides, text is more accessible than images of text, text would reach 
a wider audience.

>      unbound-variable #f "Unbound variable: ~S" (native-inputs) #f

(1) 'qemu-minimal' is in the wrong place, it needs to be in 'inputs', 
not 'native-inputs', otherwise it is compiled for the wrong 
architecture. (In both the phase and the inputs/native-inputs field)
(2) 'native-inputs' (or 'inputs'), is unbound.  For information on how 
to use search-input-file, inputs and phases, see the manual, in 
particular (guix)Build Utilities (index entry: search-input-file) and 
its example.

>> (1) the convention is TODO or FIXME, not NOTE  It's not: - TODO as in "To Do something" or "for something to be done" 
> - FIXME as in "Low priority thing or quality assurance something that 
> needs to be fixed"

A missing hardcoded file name can easily be a (usually low-priority) 
bug, so FIXME applies, it's also something to investigate and solve (if 
appropriate), so TODO applies.

> More like handing over note to the next guy about possible issue in the 
> future and leaving the signature here so that they can just go on chat

The required information is already in the "TODO: [stuff about file 
names]", they do not need to go 'on chat', and if they do anyway, 
hardcoding file names is a relatively well-known solution, so I don't 
expect a contact person to be needed.

If that's not sufficient, you can insert an (impersonal) link to the 
Guix issue <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/57809>, which has all the 
relevant information (which is available even when you aren't available 
for chatting, and also when your IRC nick is unknown or if you're gone).

Also, there are no gender restrictions in Guix.

Greetings,
Maxime.