Subject: bug#57804: An infinite loop in a `fontify-region' function causes Emacs to hang indefinitely

From: dick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:20:49 -0400

GH> the general fix will be to adapt Logview to handle locked narrowing

I wonder what kind of person is so idle, recalcitrant, and obnoxious
that he has all day to work on a private fork of emacs, refuses to
upstream his changes, all the while insulting the community.  Ah, that
would be I.

I also wonder however, what kind of person becomes so triggered by a
YouTube video about long lines, dedicates innumerable hours to
implementing and shepherding a fix, amplifies the exceptions to a
competing heuristic, but blithely dismisses exceptions to his own
heuristic ("I bet we'll never get a bug report about that," "Don't
worry, that won't happen"), who also dismisses hard performance metrics
by claiming unrealistic usage patterns, who then when presented with a
real-world failure suggests the aggrieved module ought to
accommodate his long lines fix, and goes so far as to characterize that
accommodation as "a general fix."

Generally, I wonder what it is about emacs that brings out not just the
worst developers, but also the worst people.