Subject: bug#57800: TRAMP insert-file-contents now fails for regions

From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:26:05 +0200

No, the bug is not reproducible all the time. I have switched to Emacs 28
since then, as this breaks functionality important for me. Now tried to run
29 again, but it doesn't happen anymore, neither with `-Q' nor without.
Also cannot find a backtrace for the same reason now.

>From the reproducing early today I remember that restarting Emacs doesn't
help - or is at least random, since now a newly started Emacs doesn't
exhibit this problem. It feels like the problem is in some cache and the
cache appears to be persistent (cross-Emacs), if TRAMP uses something like
that at all.

The files I have noticed this on have names like "/ssh:USER@HOST#22222:/...",
i.e. using SSH backend and a non-standard port, if that matters.

Paul

On Thu, 29 Sept 2022 at 12:43, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Happened to me again. Symptoms are exactly the same: inserting the whole
> file
> > works, inserting only a part dies with `file-missing'.
>
> OK; reopening.
>
> Do you have a backtrace for when it fails?
>
> A complete recipe to reproduce the problem would also be helpful.
>