Subject: bug#57800: TRAMP insert-file-contents now fails for regions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:30:01 +0200

Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

> Might be somehow related to bug 57486. That one also doesn't happen to
> me anymore, though this might be because it got fixed by side-effect,
> since I have recompiled Emacs several times since then. But that bug
> happened to me at least twice (with Emacs restarted etc.) on different
> days. I could immediately tell since our Java application won't even
> compile if system encoding is not UTF-8.

tramp-handle-insert-file-contents hasn't been touched for about two
months, so it shouldn't be caused by a change in that function. But as
said in bug#57486, there were some bugs when migrating Tramp to use
rx. They are fixed meanwhile (I hope I could detect all of them), which
might explain the behavior.

Btw, tramp-test09-insert-file-contents checks also inserting just a
file region. So the Tramp testsuite should signal regressions here.

>From my pov, we could close the bug, unless the problem happens again.

> Paul

Best regards, Michael.