Subject: bug#57800: TRAMP insert-file-contents now fails for regions

From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:33:42 +0200

Might be somehow related to bug 57486. That one also doesn't happen to
me anymore, though this might be because it got fixed by side-effect,
since I have recompiled Emacs several times since then. But that bug
happened to me at least twice (with Emacs restarted etc.) on different
days. I could immediately tell since our Java application won't even
compile if system encoding is not UTF-8.

Paul

On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 20:23, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Hm, now I cannot reproduce this anymore. But today I got this bug,
> > recompiled Emacs from Git and the bug was still there. Right now I
> > tested Emacs 28 in case I managed to switch them accidentally, but
> > no, also not there.
> >
> > So, either I have mixed something up, or this depends on some
> > volatile state in TRAMP, e.g. its cache.
> >
> > I guess you can close the bug.
>
> Perhaps Michael has some comments here, so we'll wait for him to chime
> in before closing, I think.
>