Subject: Re: [bug#57788] [PATCH] gnu: rust: Disable debug info to reduce build requirements

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 22:39:59 +0300

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 06:40:27AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi Efraim,
> 
> I was surprised to see commit 01be1973f464cb81cdece54f7858f0dee46abb50
> attributed solely to me, although I did not actually author that commit.
> 
> In the future, please do not attribute commits to me that I did not
> write or approve of.  At minimum, if you modify a commit that I
> proposed, please add a "Modified-by" line in the commit log.  If you
> made radical changes to a commit that I proposed, better to list
> yourself as author and maybe say "based on a proposal by Mark H Weaver"
> in the commit log.
> 
> One important modification that got lost in your simplified commit was
> the change I made to mrustc/tools/minicargo/build.cpp, which I evidently
> found necessary.  Without that change, I do not know if Rust can still
> be bootstrapped on a small machine such as mine.
> 
> Anyway, thanks for working on it, and for the other important work
> you've done on dramatically shortening the Rust bootstrap.
> 
>       Regards,
>         Mark

Sorry about that, I was modifying as I went and after updating mrustc to
a later commit the "if (true) add '-g'" spots in mrustc got changed to
depend on enabling debug, and I found that after removing -g from the
makefiles it wasn't being added anymore. I'll make sure to be more
careful in the future about commit attribution.

About mrustc/tools/minicargo/build.cpp, it looked to me like that was
specifically about building mrustc using the codeblocks IDE.

I've tried to rebuild rust-1.54 on my pine64, which has 2GB of ram and
4GB of swap and that didn't seem to be enough so I'm retrying that with
just 1 core. I'm also trying on my pinebook pro, with 4GB of ram and 6GB
of swap and I'll see if it works there or if it needs more tuning.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted