Subject: [bug#57760] [PATCH] system: install: Do not load amdgpu in the installer image.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:56:30 +0200

Hi all,

So the issue was that the installer’s display gets stuck at boot when
not blacklisting radeon.  This patch means the same apparently goes for
probably goes for amdgpu?  If there are amdgpu systems that cannot boot
the installer otherwise, this is enough reason for this patch and this
patch is a good idea.

What Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9> indicates that non-3d graphics
works for some radeon/amdgpu GPUs, because the code that prevents
booting could be removed from linux-libre for these GPUs.  If so (and it
didn’t work for one GPU of mine even though it is listed as freed at
libreplanet), these amdgpu ones would get a lower screen resolution from
uvesafb if this patch were added.  But it is worth the trade-off.

However,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> writes:
> the radeon, amdgpu, r128 and mga DRM drivers are probably relying on
> firmware loading. So we should maybe extend this patch and add the
> latter two drivers, even though they are supporting really old
> hardware.

Back then when we blacklisted radeon, we chose to wait for a report of
amdgpu not working instead of adding amdgpu to the blacklist right away.
Maybe booting is not broken there?

Regards,
Florian