Subject: Re: bug#57752: 28.1.91; emacsclient-mail.desktop doesn't work for me

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 12:23:47 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1) Instead of specifying the function args with a flag, I think I'd go
> the other way and specify the function as being special, e.g.:
>
>   emacs --apply func arg1 arg2

Yes, that sounds good.  (But we'd still need "--" to say that the
arguments have ended.)

> 2) Even better, why not just use --function and pass some higher-order
> function:
>
>   emacs --function apply-from-command-line func arg1 arg2

I think that sounds more obscure, really (even if it's simpler to
implement in the "emacs" case).

> That way, it's easy to substitute in some other higher-order function
> if you want. emacsclient would still need to add a --function flag
> though, and probably some changes to how it forwards arguments to the
> main emacs so that you can do stuff like this.

Since we have to add something new to emacsclient in any case, I'd
rather go with adding "--apply" to both Emacs and emacsclient, I think.