Subject: bug#57752: 28.1.91; emacsclient-mail.desktop doesn't work for me

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 12:09:07 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:54:22 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> I've idly wondered before whether we should add a general mechanism for
    Lars> this to avoid having to create functions that look at
    Lars> `command-line-args-left' themselves.  (And --eval is problematic in
    Lars> circumstances like this.)

emacsclient interprets

    emacsclient arg1 arg2 --eval (form1) (form2) (form3)

as "send (form1), then (form2) then (form3), so by analogy this:

    Lars> --function foo --function-args bar zot gazonk

doesnʼt require a --function-args parameter

    Lars> would result in calling `foo' with those arguments.

    Lars> Hm...  would we need some way to say "here's the end of
    Lars> --function-args", perhaps?  "--"?  So:

and this also isnʼt necessary, since the end of args is implicit by
reaching the end of the arguments, same as '--eval'

    Lars> --function foo --function-args bar zot gazonk --

    Lars> Anybody have any thoughts here?

I idly wondered whether emacsclient could create a monster ʼ--evalʼ
form with a binding for `command-line-args-left', but then I started
having nightmares about string handling in C, so perhaps itʼs best to
just send stuff over to emacs and let server.el handle it :-)

Robert
--