Subject: bug#57751: 29.0.50; crash in GC

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:40:07 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I could not reproduce that issue here either (Debian bookworm).
>>
>> yes, this is mac-specific
>>
>
> Does it also happen if you turn off the tool bar and the scroll bars?
> And tooltips, maybe?

Should be fixed now.

The crash bisected down to 976965eb5ed00ddc8806b2adcbd5761189823f2c from
a bit more than a week ago.  And the reason for the crash was
uninitialized memory, again, aka The Great C Plague.  (Which is a lesser
problem in C++ because of default contructors, but I didn't want to
mention that :-).)

What happened is this: The offending commit used an only partly
initialized input_event for frame movements on macOS.  So every time
Emacs was too busy to process input events fast enough, and then a GC
happened, the GC would trip over a random value in the movement event.

Sam, could you please confirm it's fixed?

Also, for the Tramp issue you mentioned, I'd recommend to file a bug, if
you didn't already.  That sounds like a serious issue to me.

Thanks for the support to all, and thanks to Sam for reporing this.