Subject: Re: bug#5769: 23.1; Emacs crash on Windows 7 right after startup

From: Tamas Czinege <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:34:02 +0000

I don't have Cygwin installed on that box, and have no Cygwin
directories in the PATH. The debugger gives the following list of
loaded modules that are not part of Windows:

emacs.exe	C:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe	23, 1, 0, 0										
libXpm.dll	C:\emacs\bin\libXpm.dll											

and both of them seems to me loaded from the right location. It might
be very well some sort of image library conflict as disabling the
splash image hints it. I suppose making a custom build with debug
symbols compiled in and stepping in with a debugger would help. I'll
let you know what I find.

On 24 March 2010 23:15, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tamas Czinege <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On launching Emacs 23.1.0 on Windows 7 32bit (using the official build), Emacs
>> crashes right after displaying the Emacs window. Using
>> a debugger, I got the following information:
>>
>> Unhandled exception at 0x0109cf0d in emacs.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
>> violation writing location 0x0242fffc.
>>
>> Note that the problem can be temporarily worked around by adding
>> the following line to my .emacs:
>>
>> (setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
>>
>> or just invoking Emacs with --no-splash. That allows emacs
>> starting up, but it still crashes in a minute or so, apparently
>> completely randomly.
>
> Do you have Cygwin directories in your PATH? It could be a result of
> incompatible image libraries.
>