Subject: bug#57686: 28.1.91; Python-mode C-M-a and C-M-e not always symmetrical

From: Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 22:10:16 +0200

Hello,

In python-mode, with a class that has methods, if I do end-of-defun
then beginning-of-defun, I do not necessarily come back to the
original location.

================

Example:

In a python-mode buffer, put:
----
def fun1():
    pass

class MyClass:
    def meth1(self):
        pass

    def meth2(self):
        pass

    def meth3(self):
        pass

def fun2():
    pass

def fun3():
    pass
----

Place the point at the beginning of the "class MyClass" line.

Hit C-M-e to go to the end of the MyClass defun.

Hit C-M-a.  Point goes to the first line of meth3, but I would expect
to go back to the beginning of the MyClass defun.

This is especially annoying when I have a class with dozens of methods,
in which case I have to hit C-M-a a number of times to go back to the
first line of the class, even though I have left it with only one
keystroke C-M-e.

================

By doing various C-M-e and C-M-a, it feels like python-mode defun
motion sometimes considers that a method inside a class is a defun,
however if I understood correctly[1], a defun is a top-level
statement, so methods should never be considered as defuns.  Is it the
root cause of my problem?

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-08/msg00200.html

================

Note: I have put this workaround in my configuration, which seems to
work reasonably well for the moment:

----
;; Somehow fix C-M-a (backward-defun) by removing "(* space)" in python.el:
(require 'python)
(defvar python-nav-beginning-of-defun-regexp
  (python-rx line-start defun (+ space) (group symbol-name))
  "Regexp matching class or function definition.
The name of the defun should be grouped so it can be retrieved
via `match-string'.")
----

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 28.1.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-09-02 built on fedora.home
Repository revision: e6af4968f947a3e536fbd80e74fea44ca18e22ac
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201003
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE
XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/noon/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/noon/git/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail eieio-opt speedbar ezimage
dframe shortdoc help-fns radix-tree my-present my-timeline ert ewoc
debug backtrace find-func calc-arith my-shell my-host-resolve vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc bug-reference
face-remap whitespace copyright pcase mule-util cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs vc-git vc-dispatcher appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs find-lisp
filecache my-magit magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode git-commit rx log-edit message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient cl-extra
help-mode magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm dash my-bazel
my-skeletons skeleton sh-script smie executable python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec comint ring ansi-color
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ibuf-macs ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs calc-prog calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr elec-pair delsel auth-source-pass server
jira-markup-mode derived thingatpt edmacro kmacro cl noutline outline
easy-mmode cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 270541 36722)
 (symbols 48 26212 6)
 (strings 32 86110 1992)
 (string-bytes 1 2952037)
 (vectors 16 43611)
 (vector-slots 8 492180 28335)
 (floats 8 636 199)
 (intervals 56 1264 0)
 (buffers 992 23))

Best regards

-- 
Fabrice Bauzac-Stehly
PGP 01EEACF8244E9C14B551C5256ADA5F189BD322B6