Subject: Re: bug#57684: locked narrowing breaks existing code without an apparent way to repair

From: Paul Pogonyshev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 22:54:07 +0200

By the way, today Emacs 29 hung in Magit blaming for me, with C-g doing
nothing. Grepping Magit sources suggest it uses the "save-restriction -
temporarily widen" more than ten times in various places, 3 of them when
blaming. Cannot say for sure that was it, but all the outer symptoms are
identical with the hangs in Logview.

I really think there must be a way to "widen no matter which locks are
installed" - a lot of code seems to depend on that.

Paul

On Fri, 9 Sept 2022 at 18:20, Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> >> This issue is being worked on, see the (not yet finished)
> >> feature/improved-locked-narrowing branch.
> >
> > Is there much to be done on that branch before merging?
> >
>
> I don't know yet.  Not "that much" I think, but there are a number of
> things that need to be fixed/improved.
>