Subject: [bug#57683] [PATCH] gnu: zuo: Use mirrored repository.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 20:40:13 +0200

On 19-09-2022 20:33, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Montag, dem 19.09.2022 um 15:53 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
>> On 19-09-2022 04:06, Philip McGrath wrote:
>>> When I hear the word "unbundle", I think of configuring Racket and
>>> Chez Scheme to use our shared Zlib and removing their vendored
>>> copies. I don't see how the concept applies usefully to the
>>> scenario of multiple pieces of software, some of which are useful
>>> independently, being developed upstream in the same source tree.
>>> Like, what would it mean to "unbundle" gfortran from gcc?
>> In case of gcc, I think updating the components separately doesn't
>> make much sense (from what I hear, it's the same situation for Racket
>> and Zuo, where 'Zuo' is just a component of Racket, not something
>> independent that's 'merely' a dependency of Racket).
> I'd like to point out that the purpose of Zuo is basically having a
> schemey make.  We don't bundle make with GCC, do we?

We don't, and it don't see how this comparison is relevant -- how is 
being make-ish relevant to whether something is bundling or whether 
something is acceptable to bundle?

Unlike Zuo only being used as part of Racket and developed as part of 
Racket (to my knowledge), "make" is used and developed outside GCC, with 
an independent release cycle.

Greetings,
Maxime.