Subject: [bug#57683] [PATCH] gnu: zuo: Use mirrored repository.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:53:43 +0200

> https://docs.racket-lang.org/zuo/

The documentation sounds better as a home page to me than a link to the 
source code.

On 19-09-2022 04:06, Philip McGrath wrote:
> When I hear the word "unbundle", I think of configuring Racket and Chez 
> Scheme to use our shared Zlib and removing their vendored copies. I 
> don't see how the concept applies usefully to the scenario of multiple 
> pieces of software, some of which are useful independently, being 
> developed upstream in the same source tree. Like, what would it mean to 
> "unbundle" gfortran from gcc?

In case of gcc, I think updating the components separately doesn't make 
much sense (from what I hear, it's the same situation for Racket and 
Zuo, where 'Zuo' is just a component of Racket, not something 
independent that's 'merely' a dependency of Racket).

However, for gcc, _building_ the components in separately does IMHO -- 
many users don't need GCC's Go or Fortran compiler, so they are separate 
packages.  However, IIUC, currently when building gccgo and gfortran it 
also rebuilds the internal dependencies like libiberty and libgcc and 
such, which is inefficient, so I think it would be nice to eventually 
split the gcc package in its individual component (but sharing a single 
origin!).

(I don't know if the second paragraph applies to Racket and Zuo.)

Greetings,
Maxime.