Subject: [bug#57680] [PATCH 0/2] image: Add tarball support.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:50:22 +0200

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Move the compression record to a dedicated module so that it can be used
> outside (guix scripts pack) module.
>
> * guix/scripts/pack.scm (<compressor>, %compressors, lookup-compressor): Move
> it to ...
> * guix/compression.scm: ... this new file.
> * Makefile.am (MODULES): Add it.

I’m pretty sure I commented on this patch as part of another series
recently but I can’t find it anymore.

The guts of it is:

  1. (guix compression) sounds like it could just as well be about
     offering an abstraction over guile-{zlib,zstd,lzlib} like that
     currently in (guix utils).  So the name is misleading.

  2. We cannot refer to (gnu …) from (guix …) or, if we really need to
     do so, then that should happen lazily at run time (do not miss
     Josselin’s excellent guided tour at the Ten Years, which included a
     discussion of this! :-)).

Hope that makes sense!

Ludo’.