Subject: bug#5768: 23.1; ModelSim and compile.el

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:09:28 +0200

> Is there any word on the issue about ModelSim and compile.el?

Good question.  Your email didn't seem to contain any actual sample and
I failed to get back to you about it, so it got stuck.  Looking at it
again, I see that you used HTML email and that's why I didn't see
the samples.

Now, I tried your example with Emacs-21.4 but couldn't make `compile' to
highlight your error like you have in your image002.jpg.

I see that vhdl-mode has some code to tweak the error-formats accepted
by compile.el, so maybe the change has to do with vhdl-mode.el.  So in
order to know how/where best to fix the problem, it would be good if you
could help us reproduce the right behavior under Emacs-21.

Here's what I tried:

   emacs21 -q ~/tmp/foo.vhdl
   M-x vhdl-compile RET

with a "vcom" script in my PATH which does:

   #!/bin/sh
   echo "** Error: syslog.vhd(165): near \"_\": expecting \"IS\" or ';'"

and the result is a *compilation* buffer that contains:

   cd /home/monnier/tmp/
   vcom /home/monnier/tmp/foo.vhdl
   ** Error: syslog.vhd(165): near "_": expecting "IS" or ';'
   
   Compilation finished at Thu Sep 16 15:05:56

and no errors are recognized there.  Could you try and find the
difference between my testcase and yours that lets your Emacs-21.3
recognize that message?

        Stefan