Subject: [bug#57679] [RFC PATCH] gnu: Add paraview.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 16:04:04 +0100

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Attached is an earlier version of Paraview (5.9.1) that has been
> submitted by Ontje (in Cc).

Good.  I think you can push so we have a feeling of progress on this.

> @Ludo: there doesn’t seem to be a way to unbundle VTK, because Paraview
> is closely tied to VTK, reuses its build system to some extent, and is
> better understood as an *extension* to VTK than a client application
> using VTK merely as a library.  Upstream also commented that unbundling
> VTK is not a priority and would have to be supported by the community.

Alright.  The ‘guix-hpc’ channel has an older version that I packaged:

  https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-hpc/-/blob/master/inria/staging.scm

There was a ‘PARAVIEW_USE_EXTERNAL_VTK’ CMake flag, though apparently it
wasn’t enough.

Anyway, please make sure the reasons for not unbundling are documented
in comments, with links to relevant resources.

Thanks!

Ludo’.