Subject: bug#57664: closed (Re: bug#57664: 29.0.50; echo area display)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57664: 29.0.50; echo area display

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57664: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57664
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57664: 29.0.50; echo area display
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 02:57:08 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>   > Increases the echo area and displays what, exactly?
>>
>> It displayed both lines at once, one above the other, like this:
>>
>>     Wrote /home/rms/outgoing/out-13
>>     Already 5
>>
>>   > Are you saying that something like the below
>>
>>   >   (progn
>>   >     (message "One")
>>   >     (message "Two"))
>>
>>   > when evaluated, displays
>>
>>   >    One
>>   >    Two
>>
>> No, that displays only "Two".
>>
>> I will see if I can make this fail again.
>
> Were you able to reproduce this again?  I'm trying to determine if it
> makes sense to keep this bug open.

More information was requested, but none was given within 4 months, so
I'm closing this bug for now.

If this is still an issue, please reply to this email (use "Reply to
all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Subject: 29.0.50; echo area display
From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 22:56:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I send an email with Mail mode, it actually writes the email into
a file.  (Later I will transfer that file to a server and send it out
for real.)  There are multiple calls to `message' in that path, and in some
cases they include the line

  Wrote /home/rms/outgoing/out-13

followed by

  Already 5

With last April's sources, the "Already" replaced the "wrote" message.
But now it increases the echo area to two lines.

What change causes this?  And how can I override it to get the old
behavior?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-09-06 built on freetop
Repository revision: 2d29ee5ddedaf43ee1ee2e476810bbba06bf177e
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gnutls=ifavailable 'CFLAGS=-g -O0''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug dabbrev rmailout misearch multi-isearch mailalias
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom qp rmailsum
rmailmm message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231
rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs term/linux view derived disp-table
advice finder-inf package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray
oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 302222 63684)
 (symbols 48 9510 9)
 (strings 32 44289 3451)
 (string-bytes 1 953220)
 (vectors 16 46578)
 (vector-slots 8 1304889 252560)
 (floats 8 57 269)
 (intervals 56 24653 115)
 (buffers 1000 36))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)