Subject: bug#5766 closed by Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5766: 23.1.94; invisible pointer still highlights text)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:33:02 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#5766: 23.1.94; invisible pointer still highlights text

It has been closed by Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5766: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5766
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5766: 23.1.94; invisible pointer still highlights text
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jay Berkenbilt <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:32:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Monnier skrev:
>>> I like the new feature in 23.1.94 of having the mouse pointer turn
>>> invisible when you are typing.  However, if text is set to highlight
>>> when the pointer is over it, this still occurs when the invisible
>>> pointer is over something.  This can be disorienting if you switch
>>> contexts into a buffer that has this.  For example, if you're typing
>>> away and then switch to gnus, info, or any of the other many places
>>> where there is mouse-selectable text, some seemingly random text on the
>>> screen may be highlighted because the invisible cursor is over it.  If
>>> possible, it seems like any behavior triggered by the mouse pointer
>>> being over something should be disabled when the mouse pointer is
>>> invisible.
> 
>> I will shortly fix this in the trunk.  Is this appropriate for 23.2 also
>> (Stefan or Yidong)?  Here's the patch:
> 
>> +  if (f->pointer_invisible) return;
>> +
>>    if (NILP (Vmouse_highlight)
>>        || !f->glyphs_initialized_p)
>>      return;
> 
> [ I didn't know about this feature.  ]

It was added in July, there was some discussion about it in emacs-devel.

> The `if' should be combined with the subsequent one, but other than that
> I think it's OK to install for Emacs-23.2.
> 

Ok, checked in to the emacs-23 branch.

	Jan D.

Subject: 23.1.94; invisible pointer still highlights text
From: Jay Berkenbilt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:10:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I like the new feature in 23.1.94 of having the mouse pointer turn
invisible when you are typing.  However, if text is set to highlight
when the pointer is over it, this still occurs when the invisible
pointer is over something.  This can be disorienting if you switch
contexts into a buffer that has this.  For example, if you're typing
away and then switch to gnus, info, or any of the other many places
where there is mouse-selectable text, some seemingly random text on the
screen may be highlighted because the invisible cursor is over it.  If
possible, it seems like any behavior triggered by the mouse pointer
being over something should be disabled when the mouse pointer is
invisible.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2010-03-16 on motoko.argon.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/opt/tps/packages/linux.x86_64.rhel5/emacs-23.1.94-1''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
k e SPC a n y t h i n g SPC h a p p e n . SPC S-SPC 
F e e l SPC f r e e SPC t o SPC k e e p SPC o n SPC 
t o p SPC o f SPC m e SPC o f <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
n a g SPC m e SPC o r SPC h e l p <M-backspace> c o 
n t i n u SPC t o SPC u p d a t e M-b M-b M-b M-f e 
C-e SPC t h e SPC h e l p d e s k SPC t i c k e t . 
M-q <return> <return> - - J a y C-n C-M-z C-c C-c s 
s n SPC s q g s <return> k k k k k k k k k k k k k 
k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k k q <return> <return> 
SPC q <return> <return> d d q <return> <return> d d 
d d d d d d q <return> <return> d d d d d d d q <return> 
<return> M-n g p p r q <tab> <return> C-c C-y C-k C-k 
C-f M-SPC C-n C-a C-k C-p M-q M-> <return> C h r i 
M-/ SPC h a s SPC a c c e p t e d SPC t h e SPC i n 
v i t a t i o n . <return> C-p C-p C-k M-> <return> 
- - J a y C-n C-c C-c s d d d C d <tab> <return> d 
q g s p <return> M-x r e p o r t SPC e <tab> b <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
Saving /home/jberkenb/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/jberkenb/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/jberkenb/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/jberkenb/.newsrc.eld...done
Retrieving newsgroup: argon.mail.00.main...
Fetching headers for argon.mail.00.main...done
Generating summary...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/jberkenb/elisp/startup hides /opt/tps/packages/linux.x86_64.rhel5/emacs-23.1.94-1/share/emacs/23.1.94/lisp/startup

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug starttls dabbrev auth-source mailalias tls
q-valid-addr newcomment flyspell ispell rmail sort gnus-cite ansi-color
w3m-form w3m-symbol mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg multi-isearch
parse-time gnus-ml disp-table vc-accurev paranoid-backup byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile nndraft nnmh nnfolder gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo nndoc nnoo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems vc-svn vc vc-dispatcher w3m
browse-url doc-view image-mode dired timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util qmime qmime-compose
qmime-view which-func imenu filecache server uniquify compile ange-ftp
comint ring message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash
mail-utils cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs smtpmail
sendmail regexp-opt project advice help-fns advice-preload jka-compr
cus-edit easymenu wid-edit cus-start cus-load edmacro kmacro cl cl-19
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)