Subject: bug#57648: python-bash-kernel : No module named bash_kernel

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 23:08:01 +0000

Hi,

I've tried to use python-bash-kernel (via jupyterhub), but, even the
package installation defines  correctly the kernel

$ cat .guix-profile/share/jupyter/kernels/bash/kernel.json 
{"argv": ["/gnu/store/1m48ama708vh9cjn79yw6cj8sgg7pa1b-python-wrapper-
3.9.9/bin/python", "-m", "bash_kernel", "-f", "{connection_file}"],
"codemirror_mode": "shell", "display_name": "Bash", "env": {"PS1":
"$"}, "language": "bash"}

it fails  with the "No module found" error:

/gnu/store/1m48ama708vh9cjn79yw6cj8sgg7pa1b-python-wrapper-
3.9.9/bin/python: No module named bash_kernel

I've managed to use the kernel with one of the following workarounds:

 - define an env variable GUIX_PYTHONPATH (.bashrc or .bashprofile) set
to .guix-profile/lib/python3.9/site-packages/
 - added a new line in share/jupyter/bash/kernel.spec:         "env" :
{"GUIX_PYTHONPATH":".guix-profile/lib/python3.9/site-packages/"}  - 
https://jupyter-client.readthedocs.io/en/stable/kernels.html#kernel-specs id="-x-evo-selection-start-marker">

Could you please adjust the package so that the kernel is able to find
the bash_kernel module ?

Thank you

Best,
Dan