Subject: bug#57640: 29.0.50; Feature request: unused package utility functions in package.el

From: Jen-Chieh Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:39:31 +0800

I am hoping to see,

* `package-menu-filter-unused` - similar to
`package-menu-filter-upgradable`, but filter/list unused packages instead
* `package-menu-mark-unused` -  similar to `package-menu-mark-upgrades`,
but mark unused packages instead

I know there is `package-autoremove`, but I think sometimes it's good to
see the packages in the menu. Would these be good features?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-07-19 built on AVALON
Repository revision: 7a937167030d44341409b3a2ac7ff1704142a191
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.1889)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install -C 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dashboard

Minor modes in effect:
  region-state-mode: t
  whole-line-or-region-global-mode: t
  whole-line-or-region-local-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-region-occurrences-highlighter-mode: t
  region-occurrences-highlighter-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  diminish-buffer-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  company-box-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  vs-revbuf-mode: t
  vertico-flx-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  right-click-context-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  message-clean-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  indent-control-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-sexp-mode: t
  echo-bar-mode: t
  balanced-windows-mode: t
  auto-scroll-bar-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  company-fuzzy-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  leaf-key-override-global-mode: t
  recentf-excl-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/JenChieh/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/ada-mode-7.2.1/gnat-core
hides c:/Users/JenChieh/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/wisi-3.1.8/gnat-core
c:/Users/JenChieh/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220806.2224/transient
hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-29.0.50-snapshot/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/custom hides c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs-29.0.50-snapshot/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/custom

Features:
(shadow sort company-kaomoji kaomoji kaomoji-data mail-extr region-state
emacsbug jcs-message-mode message yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils mule-util vertico-directory whole-line-or-region
whitespace-cleanup-mode which-key region-occurrences-highlighter hi-lock
gcmh diminish-buffer delsel jcs-company company-box company-box-icons
company-box-doc face-remap company-box-util frame-local
company-yasnippet company-gtags company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref ring company-files company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-abbrev company-keywords company-semantic company-template
company-capf jcs-snippet-mode yasnippet-snippets yasnippet
highlight-indent-guides advice color display-fill-column-indicator
auto-highlight-symbol alt-codes highlight-numbers parent-mode docstr
docstr-key docstr-writers docstr-util docstr-faces page-break-lines
jcs-edit vs-revbuf fextern vertico-flx flx-style flx-rs-core flx-rs flx
mbs jcs-vertico vertico right-click-context ordinal popup minions
message-clean-mode marginalia indent-control asoc hl-todo hl-line
elec-pair electric-indent-sexp echo-bar balanced-windows auto-scroll-bar
goto-addr time company-fuzzy company display-line-numbers indicators
line-reminder ov ht fringe-helper vs-dark-theme vc-hg vc-git diff-mode
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util
vc vc-dispatcher f f-shortdoc shortdoc text-property-search dash s
use-ttf on jcs-disp moody compat dashboard-ls jcs-dashboard project
dashboard dashboard-widgets recentf tree-widget wid-edit ffap thingatpt
config jcs-key edmacro kmacro jcs-hook jcs-project jcs-mode jcs-template
jcs-theme jcs-env jcs-plugin show-eol whitespace leaf jcs-dev comp
comp-cstr warnings cl-extra help-mode jcs-file pcase jcs-function noflet
cl-indent jcs-nav jcs-window jcs-util jcs-log jcs-package msgu
recentf-excl prt spinner ede/auto eieio-base rx info package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
early-init rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 260075 249901)
 (symbols 48 21204 0)
 (strings 32 72910 62839)
 (string-bytes 1 2816376)
 (vectors 16 37362)
 (vector-slots 8 661307 351754)
 (floats 8 281 715)
 (intervals 56 570 168)
 (buffers 992 11))