Subject: Re: bug#57639: [PATCH] Add new command 'toggle-theme'

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 08:22:20 -0300

Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:

 > Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

 >>>> Also, no documentation for these special properties for toggling 
themes?
 >>>
 >>> Currently no.
 >>
 >> I hope there will be.
 >
 > I had to check the thread again, and the most that was said on the topic
 > was in <[email-masked]>.  So the idea would be to mention
 > :family, :kind and :background-mode and state that anything else is
 > undefined/shouldn't be used in case we decide to add another property in
 > the future?
 >
 > We should also specify what valid values are.  :family is just a symbol,
 > :background-mode is either 'light or 'dark, but what about :kind?

I'm not really good at this, but something like:

The following properties are supported:
':family': The value should be a symbol, the name of the family that the
theme is part of.  [And insert here the explanation of family that Eli
gave]
':kind': The value should be a symbol.  If a theme is enabled and this
property has the value color-scheme, then the theme-choose-variant
command will look for other available themes that belong to the same
family in order to switch the themes.

I didn't include background-mode because the code does nothing with that
property, AFAICT.

 >>>>> +(defun theme-choose-variant (&optional no-confirm no-enable)
 >>>>> +  "Prompt to switch from the current theme to one of its a variants.
 >>>>
 >>>> I'd say: "Command to switch..."
 >>>
 >>> Do you think it is necessary to point out that it is a command?
 >>
 >> OK, maybe not.  But why start with "Prompt to"? It is likely that it
 >> will not prompt.  Why not get rid of it?
 >
 > Good point, so why not just
 >
 >      Switch from the current theme to one of its a variants.

I think that's better, yes.  I think the "a" between "its" and
"variants" is a typo.