Subject: Re: bug#57639: [PATCH] Add new command 'toggle-theme'

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:26:56 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There probably is not automatic way to resolve this issue, but perhaps
>> it might be enough to remind all the external theme maintainers to
>> remove these snippets before updating the files in emacs.git.
>
> That would be inconvenient to have to have different versions in Emacs
> and on ELPA(s).

Functionally they wouldn't differ from one another, the only difference
would be that the core packages wouldn't include the code necessary to
bootstrap a theme as a package.

> As a gross hack, we could add a new file in etc/themes that has these
> `put' statements and then load that in Emacs.  But...  that's kinda
> gross, so if somebody has a better idea, that's be nice.

If there were a way to generate "autoloaded" code as a side effect of
byte compilation or something, then deftheme would take care of that.
But I don't know enough about the bootstrapping process to say how
feasible that is or not.