Subject: bug#57639: Toggling, in general

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 22:47:26 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > What kind of things are you thinking about?  Things like the menu bar,
  > tool bar, etc. are already toggled using minor modes.

What I have in mind is settings that have many possible values,
and there's a way to select a new setting.  It could be useful
to have a general way to toggle between the last two values
of the setting.

One such thing is the selected buffer.  Right now you toggle that with
C-x b RET, which may be the shortest sequence of keys we can get, but you
see what I mean.

Another is the current input method.  ISTR there is an ad-hoc command to
reselect the previous input method.  This is another thing that a general
toggle could handle, and avoid the ad-hoc additional command.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)