Subject: bug#57626: 13.1.4; cases* environment doesn't let me use $

From: Wierdl Máté <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 13:10:11 -0500

Hi, thank you for dealing with this.  The suggested C-q works fine for me.

I think it adds to the discussion that while AUCTeX prevents me from
entering "$", it happily allows me to enter the equivalent "\(" in an
equation environment.  I just did it:

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:1}
  \(kkk\)
\end{equation}

This could be another workaround.

In my opinion (just a longtime user's opinion), this direction of "let us
prevent the user from making a mistake as he types" doesn't seem essential,
and it apparently leads to serious complications in implementation.   A
user can be really creative in making stupid mistakes but we do not expect
AUCTeX to prevent us from making them.  One error I repeatedly  make is
enter an equation environment in align (this is because I leave the cursor
at the wrong place when typing "C-c C-e").  AUCTeX lets me do similar stuff:

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:1}
  \(kkk\)
  \begin{equation}
    \label{eq:2}

  \end{equation}
\end{equation}

It is similar in my mind  to autocorrect on a cell phone where I enter
something and autocorrect sends a different message.

Having said that, I emphasize that AUCTeX is fantastic, and I have been
using it in my work for decades.

Máté

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. szept. 10., Szo,
3:51):
>
> >>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> >> Then, how about adding supplementary instruction to the message which
> >> `TeX-insert-dollar' shows? For example,
> >> Math mode started with `...' cannot be closed with dollar.  You can
> >> insert it anyway by C-q $.
>
> > I'd suggest to say "You can insert it anyway by C-u $" which is more in
> > line with the docstring of `TeX-insert-dollar'.  Does it make sense?
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> Bye,
> Ikumi Keita
> #StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine