Subject: bug#57626: 13.1.4; cases* environment doesn't let me use $

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 09:41:30 +0200

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
>> You mean in case a user says: "Dammit AUCTeX, I know what I'm doing,
>> insert what I type!"
>
> Rather, "What happened? Not sure, but I type $ again in case I actually
> did something wrong instead of typing $ correctly." ;-)

That seems to be a different user from the one I meant ;-)

>> Regardless of this, I think adding the cases entries above to
>> `texmathp-tex-commands-default' would make sense and cures the issue at
>> hand.  WDYT?
>
> I'm reluctant to take this approach. If `texmathp' regards the first
> column of those envs as non-math, it invalidates math-mode aware
> features such as automatic switching between \mathrm and \textrm for C-c
> C-f C-r, providing {}-pair for "_" and "^" with non-nil
> `TeX-electric-sub-and-superscript'.

Yes, one side of the cases will suffer.

> Then, how about adding supplementary instruction to the message which
> `TeX-insert-dollar' shows? For example,
> Math mode started with `...' cannot be closed with dollar.  You can
> insert it anyway by C-q $.

I'd suggest to say "You can insert it anyway by C-u $" which is more in
line with the docstring of `TeX-insert-dollar'.  Does it make sense?

Best, Arash